Frequently asked questions

Here you’ll find an overview of some recurring questions and their respective answers about the 4th Conference for student research. Should you have any further questions, feel free to contact us:

Q1: At whom is the conference aimed?
This conference is for students from all subject areas and courses of study (Bachelor and Master degrees, state examination). Both individual students and groups of students (with a joint project) can apply.

Q2: The conference is entitled “communicating research, evolving teaching, co-creating society”. Do I/we have to have researched on the topic of communicating research or knowledge in order to apply?
No. The goal of the conference, however, is to think about to convey one’s own research and teaching and their relevance. This includes shaping the contribution in such a way that it doesn’t just appeal to people from the own subject area but that it also creates interest and excitement in an audience from outside the subject area.

Q3: My/our research project isn’t finished. Can I/we still apply?
Yes, as long as the project has progressed from a mere idea and there are things to report. Also feel free to submit abstracts about projects that ‘failed’ halfway due to unforeseen difficulties or that didn’t produce the desired results.

Q4: I was part of an already existing project. Can I still apply?
Yes, as long as your participation resulted in something original. The focus of the conference as regards to content is students’ own research or teaching projects.

Q5: Our project is a joint one. Can we all submit a contribution and participate in the conference?
Yes and no. Of course everybody can participate in the conference. However, the number of official presenters per project is limited to two, for financial reasons (see Q12). When you submit the project, you need to decide in advance who should present it. The actual contribution should then list all authors (and where it applies the supervisors as well).

Q6: I have already finished my studies. Can I still apply?
Yes, as long as your degree doesn’t date back more than a year.
Students who are between their bachelor’s and master’s degree are explicitly encouraged to apply.  Students who received their master’s degree in 2018 are as well.

Q7: I am doing my PhD. Can I apply as well?
Yes and no. The main target group for the conference are students getting or having just received their bachelor’s or master’s degree (see Q1). For PhD students there are usually other opportunities to present their research at colloquia, young academics’ conferences or within the framework of doctorate programs. However, PhD students can apply with research projects they undertook for their masters’ degree (see Q6).

Q8: Can the same contribution be submitted in different formats (e.g. presentation and poster)?
Theoretically yes. However, only one submission per project will be accepted. If you apply twice, the jury will decide which format is a better fit.

Q9: Should submissions be in German and/or English?
Abstracts can be submitted in both languages. Depending on the number of submitted/selected contributions, we will decide if a separate session in English will be offered.

Q10: The project advisor wants to participate in the conference as well. Is this possible?
Yes. They would just need to register as a participant (and indicate that they belong with the project, see Q5).

Q11: I want to participate in the conference without presenting a project. Is that possible?
Yes, however, you will need to register to attend the conference. The registration mask will be open in July. Travel expenses, however, are only assumed for participants who present something.

Q12: Travel expenses and expenses for overnight accommodation – who receives the grant, how high is it and how does it work?
Students of German university whose submissions to the conference have been accepted (i.e. students who will present their projects which have been conducted while studying at a German university) will be reimbursed for their travel expenses and their expenses for one overnight accommodation will be paid for. For group projects, a maximum of two people can be supported.
Further information can be found under grant travel allowance for contributors.
You will have to complete itemized billing of the actual incurred travel and accommodation expenses and hand in the form and original documents.




    This project is funded by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research under grant number 01PL17068. The responsibility for the content of this publication lies with the authors.


  • Logo of the Federal Ministry of Education and Research



    lolo PerLe